After years and years of researching numerous organic, cruelty-free animal products, I have decided to start making my own skincare products. Not only were the products I was purchasing incredibly expensive, I never found any of them to be worthwhile. My favorite of everything that I tried is Eminence, but I think that nothing is more organic than making it yourself! I’ve decided to start off pretty simple by creating lip balm! I heard that citrus oils are great for lip balms, so I decided to go for a nice grapefruit oil and I am more than happy with the results!
DIY Grapefruit Lip Balm Tinted/Non-Tinted
- 1 TB of Coconut Oil – Purchased from Amazon here
- 1 1/3 TB of Cosmetic Grade Beewax pellets – Purchased from Amazon here
- 2 TB of Jojoba Oil – Purchased from Amazon here
- 18 Drops of Grapefruit Essential Oil – Purchased from Amazon here
- 3 Drops of Vitamin E Oil – Purchased from The Organic Witch here
- Small piece of pink/red lipstick for tinted lip balm (optional)
- Double boiler (or just one pot that can be placed on top of another without touching the water)
- Pipettes – Purchased from Amazon here
- Transparent Lip balm tubes – Purchased from Ebay here
1. Prepare 8 tubes with the lids off. Once the beeswax and oils are ready it will need to be added to the tubes fairly quickly.
2. Once you have all your ingredients together, double boil the Beewax pellets, Coconut Oil, and Jojoba oil. I just placed a small pot on top of another pot. I made sure the small pot on top did not touch the boiling water. It took only a couple minutes for the beeswax to melt once the water was boiling. It happens faster than you think so keep an eye out!
3. After the beeswax melts, remove it from the heat, and add the Grapefruit Oil and Vitamin E Oil with the pipettes. If you want to make it tinted, add the lipstick at this point.
4. Then immediately pour the mixture into the lip balm containers with the pipettes. Leave the lids open until the mixture hardens and cools. If the mixture hardens before you can add them to the lip balm containers, put it back on the double boiler and it will melt again.
5. You’re finished!
This was extremely easy and really well-liked by my friends! If you get some cute labels, they’d be great presents for friends/family.