A couple months ago I started suffering from adult, hormonal acne. It was extremely frustrating because I had always tried to take great care of my skin. I put on sunscreen everyday and researched/used all types of skincare – moisturizers, toners, treatments, masks, skincare treatments/massages/peels, eye creams, sunscreen, sunscreen powders, cleansing tools, etc. Whatever was coming out in skincare treatments, I’ve probably tried it. Having spent so much time, money and energy on my skin, it made me even more depressed as treatment after treatment and dermatologists led to no successful results.
I was getting heavy cystic acne on my cheeks and lower jawbone. Not only was it horrible to look at, it was extremely painful. I’ve was put on Doxycycline,Topical Clindamycin, and Spironolactone. While the Doxycycline was the most effective, it was temporary and the minute I stopped the acne returned and the effect was wearing off. I was told that birth control pills could control the acne, but I was tired of taking pill after pill. I swore it all off and looked to a more natural method.
I’m not going to claim that this lotion was the sole reason my acne got better because I’m honestly not sure. It may have been the treatments before had just caught up (not completely sure). I still have some acne, but a majority of it has cleared. Tea Tree Oil was a sworn favorite of one of my friends, so I decided to give a try and I was excited with the prospect of making my own moisturizer!
DIY Tea Tree Facial Moisturizer with SPF 20
- 8 oz of 100% Aloe Vera – Purchased from Amazon here
- 2 oz of Grapeseed Oil – Purchased from Amazon here
- 1 oz of Jojoba Oil – Purchased from Amazon here
- 1 oz of Coconut Oil- Purchased from Amazon here
- 3/4 oz of Cosmetic Grade Beeswax pellets – Purchased from Amazon here
- 5 Drops of Tea Tree Essential Oil – Purchased from Amazon here
- 5 Drops of Lavender Essential Oil – Purchased from The Organic Witch here
- 3 Drops of Vitamin E Oil – Purchased from The Organic Witch here
- 2 oz of Cosmetic Grade Zinc Oxide Powder (optional if you want to add SPF) – Purchased from Amazon here
- Double boiler (or just one pot that can be placed on top of another without touching the water)
- Pipettes – Purchased from Amazon here
- 2 oz Plastic Jars – Purchased from Amazon here
1. Heat up the double boiler and melt the Beeswax, Coconut Oil, Jojoba Oil, and Grapeseed Oil.
2. After the beeswax has melted, pour the mixture into a cup and let it cool for about one hour.
3. While the beeswax mixture is cooling, add the Tea Tree Oil, Lavender Oil, and Vitamin E Oil to your Aloe Vera.
4. Once the beeswax has cooled, mix it up and put it in your blender.
5. Add the Aloe Vera mixture little by little (and 2 oz of Zinc Oxide Powder if you want to add SPF – please use gloves when handling this powder) into the blender.
6. Keep blending until the mixture turns into a whipped lotion.
7. Pour the lotion into the containers – should make fill up about four 2oz jars – and you’re done!
Please note that since the lotion is organic it should be used at most 2 months. This is a great moisturizer for acne and if you are used to using oil-free, matte-type lotions, you may find it a bit oilier than you are used too. For the winter, I found that it was really nice for dry skin types.
The mixture of the tea tree and lavender lotion made it smell amazing and it has gotten some pretty good reviews from friends. Enjoy!